From Fear to Adventure
Wow what a crazy few weeks it has been! With Halloween festivities out of the way, Negan’s casualties revealed and now our country’s presidential election decided, the fears of many have been subsided. Yet, fear still exists as a natural response to so many of our daily obstacles. At Paranoia Quest, we are all about overcoming fear, whether it is a zombie threatened to be set lose when time is up, escaping a room filled with puzzles to solve or in the case of our most recent escape room…challenging the fears that live in one’s own mind through a virtual world experience. So as our players prepare for the challenges of one of our many thrilling escape rooms, we thought it would be a good idea to share some ideas on how to overcome fear through an adventure.
- Come to Know What You Are Afraid of – Name It. While most see fear as a negative response, fear was actually designed by our bodies to address danger. Fear is supposed to move us to action, whether it be fight or flight. When faced with fear, act on it. Accept the challenge as an adventure to be had. Think about why your are fearful and the course of action to overcome it (of course in a true danger situation, the best course of action is to move quickly to remove oneself from it). Name the fear, say it out loud…take control.
“Call him Voldemort, Harry. Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.” – J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Research Your Fear – Educating yourself on what it is you are afraid of can help you overcome it. Have a fear of swimming? Take a swimming class. Do spiders give you the creeps? Read up on them or visit an exhibit at the zoo. Does Public Speaking shake you to your core? Check out a local Toastmasters group.
- Don’t Let Stress Have the Upper Hand – When we are stressed, our fight or flight response is set on high alert. Negative feelings can lead to depression and feelings of dread. Instead of giving in, take a walk outside, catch a movie or meet a friend for coffee. Often when the stress goes away, so does the fear.
- Take On An Adventure – The best way to overcome fear is to experience opportunities that build confidence. Whether visiting some place you have never gone before or simply trying out a new experience, adventures no matter how small, can help you grow “out of your shell”. Look for opportunities to be courageous, sometimes these can be as simple as volunteering for a local outreach mission or taking the lead in a group project at school. Embrace the adventure.
- Take the Positive Route – Positive thinking has long been shown by psychologists to improve one’s confidence and inspire feelings of happiness. Many athletes, entrepreneurs and educators practice the use of positive affirmations and visualization techniques in daily life and have been rewarded with improvements in their performance. Thinking positive thoughts helps to set the mind to a confident level that is able to overcome stress and negative events that are a part of everyday life.
Overcome Your Fear with an Adventure at Paranoia Quest
While fear can be unpleasant, simply trying to avoid it may not be the answer. Instead the solution may lie with staring fear head on and overcoming fear through adventure. At Paranoia Quest Escape the Room, we are all about adventure and building confidence in one’s own abilities. If you want a “safe haven” to challenge your fear factor, come visit one of our escape rooms at either our Downtown Atlanta location or our newest location at the Mall of Georgia. Offering thrills for every age, our newest and most exciting addition is the virtual escape room. Through our VR escape room at the Mall of Georgia, adventure seekers may explore the Rabbit Hole in Alice’s wonderland, walk the haunted halls of Geist Manor, become Locked In where they must solve puzzles to be rewarded with escape or search the Pocket Universe by playing a variety of games.